MODEL YEAR: To the right of the ST letters (short for Style) are the last 2 digits of the model year of the car. Thanks for any help, Please note, comments must be approved before they are published. Generally, most date-coded components on the car were built between 2 and 8 weeks before the build date of the car. - Tims70 - from, "Thank you very much, this is very helpful." The format is not the complete VIN, but enough to conclude the original VIN's number. That is where the 442 components were installed. Oshawa starting using OS in 1967. In 67, the tan vinyl top color became light fawn instead of beige. - CTR - from, "Great job! I do know it is a 442 with a 4spd but the transmission is missing as well as one head and the intake. A special thanks to Andrew Coard and Terje Larsen for helping with some of the information 1970 Oldsmobile 442 - Lansing, MI Plant . This early format had the model year at the front followed by the body style, assembly plant designation and sequential serial number. Team members: Larry Claypool, Mark Corbin, Stan East, Bill Hubbell, Dave Newell, Dave Trull (updated May, 2021) This article was published in the May, 2005 CORSA Communique. I recently purchased a 66 Deluxe oriiginal California 'black plate' car. 988 Ermine White/ Azure Aqua Introduction. Plant Code Chart. On at least all 13227, 13427, and 13480 series trim tags to date, a 1-character ("Z") or 2-character ("XZ") code follows the trim number. From 1965 to 1967 the serial number identification plate was attached to the left front body hinge pillar directly below the upper door hinge. The 869 SS interior became 862 in January of 1966. Standard F-85 Sign up for a new account in our community. 1946 - 1988 GM Body Codes & Vehicles 1966 - 1970 GM Body Codes A-Body Buick Skylark Special Sportwagon Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Malibu SS El Camino Oldsmobile F-85 Cutlass Vista Cruiser Pontiac Tempest LeMans GTO B-Body Buick LeSabre Wildcat Chevrolet Biscayne Bel Air Impala Impala SS Caprice Oldsmobile 88 Starfire Jetstar Pontiac Bonneville Catalina Grand Prix (1966-68) Star Chief Executive If you find an error, please email me at this link; This decoder will not decode 1966 - 1968 fender tags or cars made from the Lynch Road plant. V-8 Engine. . The typical two-tone paint code was a combination of two of the available paint codes as suggested by Chevrolet. If you have any data to contribute to the research of these accessory codes, we would love to see it! (1) Chevrolet In most cases, the assembly plant code is followed by either the sequential body number or the order confirmation number found on factory paperwork like the window sticker. Weve illustrated all 3 here, and weve listed the important information (and how to read it). This is the Oldsmobile VIN decoder. The VIN tag identifies for all GM cars the division that In our case that is always a "2". 64=1964, 70=1970, etc. Using the charts below, you can decode some or all of your ACC codes on your 1963-1967 Chevrolet. I labeled the codes I have trouble interpreting. In 1966, the row of numbers at the top are replaced by a row of lowercase letters, which are another row of option categories. along with me as we attempt to decode the above example: 33300 And thankfully the car seems original everything so far. It started with the year followed by the body number and the sequential serial number. A51 = Front Strato bucket seat However, some plants showed a 6 cyl. And that's basically it. body style on the cowl tag, regardless of the engine size. Up through 1964, the VIN number was 12 characters. Impala Super Sport - bucket seats (strato-bench in parenthesis). - Steve C. - from, "Thank you very much for providing this great resource!!" Specs | General Specs | Engine HP Points: 0. SEAT TYPE: There may or may not be an additional code following the trim code that identifies the type of seat installed in the car. The plant that assembled the body to the chassis and finished the car is found as part of the vehicle serial number which is on a plate riveted to the driver . Note: Wilmington put the color of the wheels as a third letter (or 2nd on convertibles) in the paint code for 1965. That code can also be found on the protectoplate. Ordering About Us FAQ OLDsmobile 442. Copyright 2023, Antique Automobile Club of America. Body Style Number. Thanks. "Restraint System". For information on decoding the option codes, see our selection of books by Galen Govier in the Literature section. Note for 1964: Biscayne sedan interiors were cloth except for the 865 fawn fleet-type vinyl. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the fullsize Chevrolets built in the United States had 4 components the model year, the body style, the assembly plant designation, and sequential serial number. (207810) 107,810th fullsize Chevrolet built at St. Louis, MO, Sample 1965-1970 VIN number decode 164878J206840 A81 = Headrest (Strato seat type) All models used a tag of this sort, and from 1964-72 there are 3 basic tag styles1964-67, 1968, and 1969-72. or restoration purposes. ; Engine VIN Codes Decodes engine codes used in Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN's) for cars starting around 1953.; Vehicle History Vehicle History Reports for Classic Cars number, called the car series and body style designation number, identifies any car as to Thanks for your contributions" - Vintage Chief - from. I'm still working on finding These are required to get a more accurate decoding of your fender tag. Listing of dealers, companies and individuals offering cars, parts and services for antique, classic, vintage and muscle cars. Its not possible to pinpoint a specific day of manufacture from the data plate, only the week of the month the car was built can be determined. | 1967 Specifications - Model ID | Product Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The 1955 Chevrolet cowl tag provides specific data about the automobile, including its model year, production number, as well as body and interior information. There is no known factory documentation that lists every code so most of these were confirmed by comparing original cars to the codes on the tag. It appears to be a holiday coupe (it does not have a vinyl top and the paint job is light gray, newish). plant . 1966 442 Cowl Tag By Kenmando January 8, 2009 in Oldsmobile - General Share Kenmando Members 9 Posted January 8, 2009 Can someone please tell me where I can find information to decipher the cowl tag on a 66 442. No #'s behind ps pump. All rights reserved. Specs | General Specs | Engine All body style codes in 1964 were four digits, which were changed to five for the 1965 model year. A single letter can sometimes be found in this location as well, which usually identifies the interior paint code. He'd punch out his own trim and VIN tag, throw in a 396 and some badges, and stick the car up on a popular online auction site for a quick $100,000. The top line can contain more information depending on the assembly plant. Car; Forum . There is nothing worse than hearing about a fellow car enthusiast purchasing a bogus car and becoming a victim of fraud. Another thing I found was for 1964 Chevelles. Dealer stock number stamped on Owner Protection Plan and Convertible Top booklets document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2023 Impalas.org. The term rebody is a term of art used throughout our hobby to denote a vehicle whose original factory body has been replaced with another donor body. 1966 - The Toronado is the first mass produced front wheel drive American car. use this banner. Cars; Active Ads; Post Ad . Paint code is 52 and trim code is 930. Now on to the engine/trans/rear end/ etc. Starting in 1967, the partial VIN was stamped on the top of the cowl (under the cowl vent panel) or on the firewall around the opening that would be covered by the heater or air conditioning box. Model Year. engine When trying to figure out if your car had an L6 or V8, always go by the VIN number. That's why we've put together a couple of handy charts, starting with this rundown of GM body codes. Yann Wehrling, vice-prsident de la rgion le-de-France, charg de la Transition cologique, et Patrice Leclerc, maire de Gennevilliers et Prsident du groupe Front De Gauche la . From 1968 to 1971 it was attached to the top of the instrument panel on the driver's side and is visible through the windshield from outside the car. #2-32. How to read these codes: Example: E2EM3C5V. #1. The model, body style, paint color, interior color, and date of manufacture are all found on this metal tag. body style on the cowl tag, regardless of the engine size. Is it ever acceptable to replace a Cowl Tag? If you could explain the cowl tag it starts with 12E H ST 66-33867 LAN 3301 BODY TR 987-S M-1 PAINT . DIVISION SERIES: The first digit of this code identifies the GM division (1=Chevrolet, 2=Pontiac, 3=Oldsmobile, 4=Buick), the second and third digits identify the series (Chevelle, LeMans, Cutlass, Skylark, etc.). Links |. Standard F-85 Vehicle: 1968 Oldsmobile 442. (66) Caprice series (8-cyl) Note for 1965: Biscayne sedan interiors were cloth except for the 865 fawn fleet-type vinyl. UNIT NUMBER: To the left of the BODY or BDY letters is the unit number assigned at Fisher Body. The responses are coming in little by little but I wanted to convey my personal opinion about thispractice and what peopleRead More>>, DataTagDecoder.Com is a unique site that provides the ability for the classic car collector and enthusiasts to decode cowl tags on most General Motors vehicles (except trucks) from 1964 - 1972. Don't see your favorite? Let us know! Full Terms of Use and Privacy Policy LEGAL. upper cowl (firewall) in the engine compartment (near the master cylinder). This page last modified on February 15, 2003. Every Oldsmobile car has a unique identifier code called a VIN. The 812 black vinyl interior was available in both sedans and wagons. The majority of the assembly plants showed an 8 cyl. Oldsmobile Division only made 500 of those cars, and all of them were four-speeds. This is as far as I've gotten in my research. January 8, 2009 in Oldsmobile - General. The tag was stamped at the Fisher Body assembly plant (not the Chevrolet vehicle assembly plant, which was a separate entity) with characters describing basic characteristics of the body build. 1966 Oldsmobile 442 Lansing, MI Plant. The exact order and meaning of each digit might change from year to year, but basically that list is ALL the VIN number will tell you. On some assembly plants (except Wilmington, DE) in 1966 and 1967, a letter was used after the interior code to indicate the front seat type. 965 Lagoon Aqua/ Ermine White Here is a chart of VIN number assembly plant codes. It's exterior paint is Mist Blue and the wheels are tuxedo black. The next two digits are the Series identifiers. Home; New Post; Unread Post; Tools for you Thanks. 4C-5VY Those tags will be covered in a future update. Thank you for listening. Thanks again for your help I appreciate it so much." Body Style. In addition to the VIN plate, the partial VIN of the car was sometimes stamped on the body in up to two places. Howdy: I am a 72 year old man whose eyes are falling out researching an 1966 OLDSMOBILE Coupe claiming to be a 442. For information on decoding the body style, see the chart in the VIN number section. 959 Silver Blue/ Ermine White Post in the forum instead. L-C Tropic Turquoise body with Provincial White top (painted), I also do not know what the WO 2L and 5VY codes refer to, Again I don't know the othe codes so I hope someone can help out and improve my education level. See the below interior charts for your year. Contact Us - DO NOT EMAIL CAR QUESTIONS. Home ; Search for Specifications Find automobile specifications; Directory of Services Listing of dealers, companies and individuals offering cars, parts and services for antique, classic, vintage and muscle cars. Read More>>, Have a code add/correction or site enhancement? #1-BF4399. This should be the build date code, which is two digits and a letter. For the month: 01 = January, 05 = May, 09 = September and 12 = December, etc. Post count: 2. The last six digits of the VIN# are the sequential serial number. 954 Meadow Green/ Ermine White The body build date tells the month and week the body was produced. ACCESSORY CODES: On 1967-and-earlier models only, there may be accessory codes listed on the data plate. Want to link to this site? Reproduction howeverRead More>>, Copyright 2023, - DataTagDecoder.Com does NOT offer vehicle authentication services or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) decoder services. M11 3spd manual transmission on the column (if optional transmission not ordered), Your email address will not be published. There These codes break down as follows: A41 = 4-way front power seat (bench) (5) 1965 (16469) Impala 4-door sedan The body style number consists of three parts. any plant-specific codes), PLEASE e-mail me. ASSEMBLY PLANT: This code identifies the assembly plant where the body was mated to the chassis/driveline, and final assembly procedures were performed. . | Home | The cowl tag is a separate plate unrelated to the vehicle identification number, or VIN, usually found in the driver's side doorjamb. Hopefully this helps - if I've made a misinterpretation somebody will have the correct info. Buick, Olds and Pontiac used this 2-letter system from 1964 to mid-1969. A number under any of these letters represent an option in that letter's category. 0000 = Corvair 1000 = Chevy II, Nova 3000 = Chevelle, Malibu 5000 = Biscayne, Bel Air 6000 = Impala 9000 = Corvette Sixth Digit: The sixth digit shows the production year. 6 digits - Sequential production number starting with 100001. The 2 digits represent the month (01=January, 02=Feburary, etc.) The original trim code is TR 054-K. Cowl Tag Decoding 1972 Cutlass. If yours is missing, someone removed it. series and style. Innovations 1962 - First production turbocharged American car, the 1962 Jetfire. All rights reserved. Copyright 2002-2021 by Beverly Hills Restorations Company. The interior code is a three digit number that shows the color, fabric type and style of the seats. Some plants however, did stamp a L6 body style on the cowl tag if it was to be assembled with that engine. The apparently has something to do with some sort exterior trim moldings but just what isn't known at this time. (J) Janesville, WI assembly plant A46 = 4-way front power seat (bucket) 1967 Oldsmobile 442 VIN plate, found on the left front door pillar. Reading from left to right, the digits represent the following: Here is an example of a cowl tag, this one taken from mine: The All Rights Reserved. (8) 1968 In previous years there was no plant designation on the cowl tag. Cowl Tag Body and Style Numbers decoding an Oldsmobile cowl tag, refer to the Deciphering The Cowl Tag page. All assembly plants started at 100001 except in 1969. For most Camaro model years, the cowl tag was riveted to the body, except in a few cases including 1973 and 1974, where it was screwed to the body with sheet metal screws. Thanks. However, some plants showed a 6 cyl. moon in 11th house in navamsa chart, dan patrick family,
Rv Lots For Sale In Snohomish County, Ruidoso Rv Lots For Sale, Funded Trading Accounts, Articles OTHER